Sunday, July 7, 2024

One Year Mark

Monday morning we left our apartment shortly after 7:00 to drive to Tampere for zone conference.
We did our training on how much electricity different appliances use one more time.

We would have liked going with the Israelsen's to Helsinki for their final day, but we were really glad that we attended the zone conference. It was very uplifting and focused on the Savior.
Afterwards the Sisters all wanted to get a picture together. There are lots of sisters in this zone (more sisters than elders)!
Tampere Zone Picture
We made some sandwiches and took them to the apartment/hotel where the Israelsens were staying and met them to visit and eat dinner with them. It was so fun to have them here for a few days!
It is always interesting to see what else is blossoming as we walk in the mornings. 
The roses smell so good as we walk past! I wish I could record the smell somehow. 
There are many rose hips now, but also still many blossoms.
Tuesday evening as a multi Stake Relief Society meeting. It was put on by the Jyväskylä Stake as part of a Relief Society temple trip. They invited the Helsinki stake Relief Society women to attend. 
It was held at the Haaga building. It was also broadcast, but the broadcast was only in Finnish. 
I was so glad that I went! 
I did feel a little uncomfortable as I was the only one there who needed English translation. 
But Sister Grant from the International ward translated for me. (We were the only two from the International ward.) Sister Kakkinen wanted me to come and sit by her, so I had a friend to sit next to. 
They had several different women speak and share their testimony. 
I enjoyed them all, but I especially enjoyed hearing Elder Erikkson's mom. 
(Elder Erikkson was in our mission last year waiting for his visa so he could go to South Africa, we had to work so hard to get his visa from Sweden once it had finally arrived at the embassy there.) 
I enjoyed visiting with his mom for a few minutes after the meeting.
The other testimony that I really enjoyed was from a sister who lives in Ivalo. She is the Relief Society president in Rovaniemi even though she lives over 300 km from the church. We visited her home 6 years ago with the Evans when we took a trip to Lapland. I was so happy to be able to talk to her and remind her of our visit. She started to cry as she told how she tells everyone about the miracle of her temple dress, which was a gift from sister Evans as a result of that trip. 
She allowed me to take a picture with her.
On Wednesday evening we went to the temple. 
The missionaries were there as part of My Plan.
This is a picture of the next groups of departing missionaries (plus a couple of Finns). 
There are 2 missionaries going home July 18 and the rest go home on August 13.
Wednesday (3 July) was our one year mark as missionaries. We had some leftover cake to celebrate.
It is hard to believe that we have been serving a year already. 
At the same time, it seems like forever ago since we were at the MTC.
On Thursday, as we were leaving the office, I decided to check the mailbox. 
We usually don't get our mail here, but once in a while there is something in there. 
There was a birthday card for me!
On Friday, Steve took the van to Pelican storage to help the Kites get the things for the new apartment. After Sister Kakkinen came and got a package declared, 
she and I walked over to help at the new apartment. 
The Lohja Elders were there and also the Woodlands. We were all busy putting furniture together.
We went to Chicos at Sello mall for dinner. I had the halloumi cheese salad.
Saturday was an official flag day in Finland. It was poetry and summer day, the celebration of the birthday of a Finnish poet Eino Leino. There were signs up in our elevators.
On Saturday afternoon, we picked the Williams up from their hotel (they are in Helsinki because they are going home on Tuesday) and took them with us to the Glims Farmstead Museum. 
Many different sleds in the carriage house.
The horse in the stables.
The little kid pony chairs in the yard.
The beautiful chickens.
Boats being carved.
The main house, built in 1790, is now where the ticket office and gift shop are.
The traditional way of hanging the rye bread so critters couldn't get to it.
The traditional costumes of Espoo
A beautiful crocheted bag and embroidered cloth.
We all met up with the Lehtinens for the farewell dinner for the Williams.
It was at Yummy at Sello.
We are going to miss the Williams!

Tonight as we were making dinner, I kept seeing some little bugs. Steve tried to tell me they were just the little fruit flies, but I didn't think so. We got looking more closely and I thought they were more like weevil. Aaaaccckkk! We found one box of cereal that had lots of them. We checked all the other boxes and bags in the cupboards and found some in many of our things. Several of the boxes were almost gone so I wanted to just throw them out rather that risk reinfesting when we replace what we throw out. It is always hard for Steve to throw anything out. 



Sunrise/sunset times Sunday 7 July 2024
Espoo Finland 4:09am to 10:42pm for 18hrs 33 min of daylight.
Provo, Utah 6:04am to 8:58pm for 14 hrs 54 min of daylight.




No comments:

Post a Comment

The Last Days

 On Monday, we had to say goodbye to Sister Anttila as it was her last day in the office for the week. I have really enjoyed having her in t...